Sunday, March 30, 2008

Welcome Back

As the weather has improved in the mornings this weekend, some migrants are starting to arrive. Its always good to hear the first chif chaf or spot the first Northern Wheatear. Whilst out looking for skylarks yesterday, I cam across my first wheatear. As usual they were very difficult to get near as is usually the case when the first arrive. Laying in some long grass I was fortunate to have a female come hopping across towards me.
They often tend to stick around the boulders that form local sea defenses and groynes which I suppose gives them the comfort of being similar to the rocky upland habitat they are heading to.

and a male in its fine spring plumage.

4 comments:

Stacey Olson said...

What beautiful little birds. I love the low angle you took these photos from.. Thanks

Jane Adams said...

I said you'd get wheatear before me, didn't I! You bu**er! Great shots, I can't wait to see one myself. Jane

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures. I love the views of the birds.

Rich Steel said...

Thanks for the comments. Jane I hope you have found some Wheatear now!!

Cheers

Rich

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails