Saturday, December 20, 2008

Local Beach Birds

I stopped for a brief session on the local foreshore recently just as the tide was flooding in towards high water. A number of purple sandpiper had gathered on the rocks and sea defences.
One of the birds was ringed, which apparently was undertaken on the nearby Hilbre Island in the winter of 2000 / 01. I wonder how many thousands of miles this bird has travelled in that time.
I took a few more purple sandpiper photos before shifting my attention to some turnstones.
Some of the birds were showing some very nice plumage.The Turnstones were gathering with the SandpipersSome birds were flying in to escape the advancing tide.Together with some incoming redshankI finished off locating a solitary redshank foraging on a grass bank which gave some opportunities to get some photos in an unusual setting.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a beautiful series. I especially like the flight shots and the eye level shot in the habitat...Thomas

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

Yes, great shot as always.
Happy holiday!

Anonymous said...

What can I say - perfection is standard at your end!

I wish you and yours a merry Christmas and a great new Year with many more great images and posts to come!

Cheers, Klaus

Rich Steel said...

Thanks for the replies and comments.

Cheers

Rich

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails