Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Rare Visitor From the North
Ross's Gull are usually found up in the high Arctic and are a rare visitor to the UK shores. I am not usually one for chasing after rare birds but an adult bird was being reported about an hour's drive north in Lytham St Annes which was close enough to go and check out. I travelled up with my friend Steve and our timing was perfect in terms of the tide. The bird was relatively easy to find by the group of bird watchers and photographers gathered close by.
The bird was quite unconcerned by the crowd and continued feeding on tiny flies around the shore.I must admit that I did not notice the slight pink tinge to its breast feathers until I got the photos back on the computer at home. Probably one of the most attractive gulls I have seen on my travels.

3 comments:

kjpweb said...

Gorgeous images of this rarity! And shot with a great low POV! Kudos!
Cheers, Klaus

Stacey Olson said...

Great shots! such a unique little bird. thanks for sharing

Rich Steel said...

Hi Klaus and Stacey, many thanks for your replies. It was a pleasure to see, photograph this cooperative bird in great light.

Probably be a very long time before I see another!!!

Cheers

Rich

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails