Saturday, December 24, 2011

Simply Starlings

Starlings create one of nature's great spectacles as the swirling murmurations of birds come into roost at dusk. However, as an individual bird they tend to be a little overlooked which is a shame as they take on spectacular rainbow of metallic colours in the right light.
Seeing a large flock bathing, I recently took the opportunity to have a lie down and take some photos. Unfortunately a big bank of dark grey cloud swept in off the sea and quickly cut the session short as the light vanished. Its amazing how much fun can be had with the simple combination of a flock of starlings, a large puddle and some soft golden winter light.
Just before the light disappeared, I decided to try and photograph some birds in flight. This is not an easy task with Starlings as they are small and fast flying but I managed a couple but many headed to the trash as I clipped off bits of birds in the frame. If any one wants some partial images of flying starlings, I have plenty :)
Given that it Christmas Eve, I would like to take this moment to wish all my readers and those who have regularly supported me through this year and kindly taken the time to comment on my posts a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Wildlife filled 2012. Of course some do not celebrate Christmas and to those I send my seasonal greetings and best wishes.

10 comments:

Wiesław Zięba said...

Szpaki to piękne ptaki. Bardzo je lubię, choć zjadają mi czereśnie i wiśnie. Wspaniałe fotografie tych ptaków.
Dobrych świąt życzę.

Unknown said...

Que maravilla de fotografías! son increibles!
Te deseo na feliz Navidad y un 2012 lleno de felicidad para tí y tus seres queridos.
Saludos!!

Talibra said...

Wesołych Świąt i szczęśliwego Nowego Roku!
Pozdrawiam.

holdingmoments said...

As always Richard an excellent post.
A much underrated bird in my opinion.

All the best to you and your family at Christmas; and I look forward to many more superb pictures from you in 2012.

TexWisGirl said...

gorgeous shots. really beautiful!

merry christmas to you as well!

Cindy said...

Wow!!!! Gorgeous birds. Merry Christmas.

Unknown said...

Rich, amazing shots!
All the best of the season to you!

José-Elías Rodríguez said...

Beautiful pictures with the right light and the perfect frames.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Starlings are absolutely under rated as far as their beauty is concerned. I think they are swell and your captures in this series are really awesome! Murmuration of Starlings...one of nature's most spectacular creations...woosh~ Merry Christmas to you as well~

Germán said...

Woowoww!!! i´m impressed... congratulations for your work!

Add to my favs...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails