Friday, December 09, 2011

Close Encounters of the Hare Kind

As the end of the year approaches, I like to get all my photographs finished off and backed up so I can have a fresh start in the New Year. I have been working through the last of my hare images, taken earlier in the year. A reminder of warm gentle days as the hail swirls under gale force winds under black skies outside. For example a hare running through the fallen blossom of late spring.
Or feeding on the lush growth of mid-summer.

During my hare photography this year I have had some very close encounters with these shy animals. The most memorable of these moments was lying down for about 30 minutes one evening next to a female hare while she quietly grazed. There was no doubt that the hare knew I was there, but given my prolonged and careful approach, it had decided I presented no threat and carried on feeding. An intimate memorable moment spent with a special animal. Below is one of those photos from that moment.
I have encountered a couple of young hares along the way which are hilarious to watch on occasions with their rather uncoordinated antics.
This one get coming closer and closer, looking rather inquisitive, until all I could get in frame was a head photo.
Watching me, watching you, watching me.
Some early morning fur maintenance. As hares do not use burrows they spend a lot of time grooming their coat to keep it in good condition to repel all the weather throws at them.
Thought I was suffering from double vision for a moment from getting out of bed too early.
This one probably recognises me from a previous encounter.
So I will finish off my hares for this year with one giving me the 'eye'. Their is spring madness just waiting to be unleashed behind that eye.
I hope the selection of hare posts I have made during 2011 have given you as much pleasure as I have had in taking the photos. I take away many fond memories of having the priviledge of sharing moments of their world.

11 comments:

mch said...

amazing photos

grammie g said...

HI Rich...I just loved these shots...i laughed through half of them and awed through the rest ...
The one with his toungue sticking out is great and the last one great!!
Fantastic ..love the eyes and the ears..I so enjoyed ; }!!

Grace

TexWisGirl said...

absolutely beautiful photos! they are full of character, for sure!

Flameheart said...

Beautiful Photos! I love the hare's many expressions and the detail is amazing. Love the eyes.

Jenny said...

Absolutely brilliant!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

I had a couple of friends check out your Hares the last time you posted some and they, like myself were utterly amazed at the greatness of the captures, the wonderful personality of the faces, those eyes, those ears, the way the scrunch their noses when they eat...I love them all!

Barbara said...

I adore your hare images. I completely admire all your photographs, but these hares are just so fantastically expressive.

Judy Royal Glenn said...

Love these photos:)

theconstantwalker said...

I have just discovered your wonderful blog... Lovely images.

Unknown said...

GREAT photos! Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

Wow! absolutely amazing shots of my favourite animal. Stunning.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails