Thursday, September 04, 2008

King of Fishers

There are some bird species that just stand out as having appeal to all. I think for some its their upright stance, such as penguines, that makes it easy to apply human emotions. I am sure meerkats would be less appealing if they didn't adopt an upright sentry stance. For other birds it may be cuteness or a 'comical' appeal with ducklings and puffins appealing immediately to mind. For other birds it is just because they are just plain beautiful which is usually due to their amazing colours. The kingfisher falls into this latter category.
I keep an eye out on the web for sites that are producing good quality images of certain birds. One email later had me pointing in the right direction for some kingfisher photos. As I entered the hide the kingfisher was sitting on a perch in front but disappeared before I could get the camera in position. However, fortune shiones on the patient and two returned later on.
A young bird landed on a post in front of the hide giving a great back view of its electric blue 'stripe'It subsequently dived in the water and came up with what I at first thought was a fish but it was actually a stone and then proceeded to juggle it around as if it was trying to position it for swallowing as it would do with a fish.A bit more practice for that bird before it becomes the King of Fishers.

6 comments:

Nimble said...

they're amazing. :D

Snowbabies said...

Amazing shots Rich!

kjpweb said...

Fantastic shots, Rich! Especially the last one is a cracker!
Good work!
Cheers, Klaus

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

Hi Richard!

I love all your birds pics.

I'm also into birds /Nature photography, but only using the short 400mm f5.6.
best regards,
/T/.

Rich Steel said...

Many thanks Nimble, Paul, Klaus and Tabib for taking the time to comment. I hope you enjoyed the photos as much as I enjoyed taking them.

Tabib you are very fortunate to be surrounded by so many beautifully coloured birds.

Cheers

Rich

Axen said...

Breath taking quality, nature really is timeless.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails