Saturday, October 04, 2008

Feeding Egrets

The numbers of Little Egrets has been slowly increasing along my local stretch of coast. So last weekend while the sun was actually shining I thought I would pay them a visit. They are always a bird I enjoy photographing although the brilliant white of their feathers and wary nature does create a few challenges. The best approach I have found is to sit in a spot and wait for them to come to you which obviously also invloves a large slice of luck.
They feed in the gulleys at low tide and are entertaining to watch as they dash around trying to catch small fish
As the light was good I decided to concetrate on some feeding photos. Another small fish disappears down that long beak
One bird fluffed its feathers up and looked quite comical for a few moments with the loss of their usual sleek form.
I hoping they will stick around for the winter so I can catch them in some good winter light.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Very nice, I love the one of the head plunging into the water!

kjpweb said...

Wonderful captures! I so would like to see them in size comparison to Great Egret and Snowy Egret - to get a better feel for them. Keep 'em coming!
Cheers, Klaus

Unknown said...

Beautiful series, liked the action and the image quality very much

Unknown said...

And congratulations on your winning the BBC countryfile contest...that's an awesome achievement

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

Lovely series of Little Egrets. The 1st pic with bird reflection is my pick.
Over here we have Little Egrets migrating south for winter, and we will see it soon and my backyard.

Anonymous said...

I love this series of pictures. I like watching the bird catch the fish.

kyles anima said...

AMAZING PHOTOS ON THIS BLOG! PLEASE VIEW MINE AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

Rich Steel said...

Many thanks for the comments. I must admit I am a really drawn to photographing Little egrets and seem to have built up quite a library this year.

Cheers

Rich

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails