Monday, March 03, 2008

Richmond Deer
I was down in London last week and at the end of the day as the sun was sinking I popped in to Richmond Park to check it out for the first time. The deer are basically allowed to get on with it in this huge openspace except for some selective annual culling to keep the heards balanced. The main purpose of the visit was to have a look around for an autumn visit when the deer are in rut.

I found two big groups of deer. First up some fallow deer.

A couple of stags having a practice rut.As time was limited before sun down I thought I would quickly move on to the red deer. I find it impressive that large wild herds of these majestic mammals can be found so close to the centre of London.

Some of the stags are amongst the largest I have encountered.
This young stag boldly squared up to be so I thought it wise to make a quiet retreat as it was an uneven contest given my lack of antlers.
On the way back to car I found this ring-necked parakeet, which are now very common in the west end of London, checking out a potential nesting site.

I look foward to return visit to Richmond Park and just hope for some atmospheric weather and light conditions during my autumn visit for the rut.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that last shot of the stag.

Paul.

Rich Steel said...

Thanks for your comment Paul. The last shot certainly captured some eye contact.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails